As a Mentor or Coach of a FIRST team, you are, through the kids, the key ingredient in the success of your team. Your contribution to the success of FIRST programs and ultimately to the success of FIRST is immeasurable. The time, responsibility and expertise of a Mentor or Coach will vary but the one constant is that you are bringing something to your team that they need to learn, grow and succeed.
Who are FIRST Mentors and Coaches? Our team members say it best. A Mentor/Coach:
- Can be a person of any age, teaching others what they know;
- Brings either technical or non technical expertise to the team;
- Provides the opportunity for students to learn directly through experiences;
- Begins as a teacher, evolves into a colleague;
- Knows that Mentoring and Coaching is about inspiring and guiding;
- Provides students the environment to succeed;
- Is patient, supportive, enthusiastic, compassionate and available;
- Remembers what’s important – it’s about the kids and they come first.
Mentors must be community members and are required to register with FIRST Robotics Challenge which requires a criminal background check. Additional requirements must be satisfied by the TEAM 5099 Advisors and NHS Administration. Mentors do not have to be parents and generally posses “engineering type” skills that can aid in the design and construction of our robots. Please contact the NHS Department of Technology if you are interested.